Portsmouth Forum - Our Current Squad (updated regularly)
Vital Football

Portsmouth Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: John Motson: 'I think this could be our best victory over Germany since the war.' - pompeycarpet
- (Added by: pompeyrug)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Fleetwood MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
McGee4%
Thompson0%
Clarke3%
Burgess10%
McCrory0%
Lowe21%
O'Keefe35%
Close7%
Kennedy0%
Pitman17%
Chaplin0%
Sub - Donohue3%
Sub - Evans0%
Sub - Hawkins0%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.pompeyrug28
2.storagematt24
3.Copnor4316
4.penton15
5.PompeyFrippy8
6.eastneydave8
7.uspompeyfan7
8.Jimsmithswig7
9.steaming6
10.Dorking Pompey5
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (2): 1
Our Current Squad (updated regularly)
17 August 2017 10:29 Post ID: #185229 - in reply to #184904
As said in the Oxford thread...

It's tough to know what's what in the opening weeks of the season BUT I don't think we can afford to go out of August without further strengthening the squad.

I'd love to see May and Close given a chance but I think we need a physical and experienced central midfielder coming in without a doubt.

An 'emergency loan' can be done with a goalkeeper but perhaps an experienced option to cover McGee and challenge him with Bass sent out on loan could be best as we saw when THD got injured just how easily we could be left light.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
17 August 2017 15:48 Post ID: #185235 - in reply to #184904
Linvoy status
Noise coming from Jackett is that a new LB is a priority before any other potential signings, but we're struggling to find someone for that role at the moment. Need a back-up goalkeeper and a central midfielder also, so that's a bit of a worry.

I think I said in a previous post that McGee and Pitman would have cost a fair whack of cash, with Pitman one of Ipswich's highest earners and McGee coming from a Premier League club. I assumed that season ticket sales/a small injection of cash from Eisner was going to cover for these signings, but it appears we've not got nothing left in the budget now.

Was this a bit of a gamble from KJ? Shouldn't we have looked to have replaced the players we've lost before splashing out on a striker? Depends whether you'd prefer to sign one star player up front or bring in two/three players of slightly lesser quality?

Stevens, Doyle, Aborah, Linganzi, Roberts, Hunt, Forde and Eoin Doyle have all left the club, and only four players have come in. Something doesn't add up to me, especially when you consider that some of those players who have left would have been some of our highest earners. Not to mention, the compensation we would have received from Wigan for Cook. If it is true that we can't afford to bring in the players we need, how so? Pitman was apparently earning upwards of £10k a week at Ipswich so I hope we haven't matched that. That's only hearsay though.

Got a couple of weeks to get it sorted, though. I'll really be panicking if it comes to August 31st and positions still need filling!

Edited by FrattonBlue 17/8/2017 15:53
Like post
Like this post
17 August 2017 16:21 Post ID: #185240 - in reply to #184904
I've not looked but seen the News saying Jackett doesn't think he'll be able to fill the left back position?

Yes, it needs looking at, but I'd have another central midfielder above anything else then another goalkeeper and left back as the last option needing filling tbh.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 09:10 Post ID: #185389 - in reply to #184904
Dickinson, Pompey 'til I die!
A very busy deadline day for a change. We usually don't see much action but it looks like KJ left all his dealings to the last minute! In came Stuart O'Keefe, Oliver Hawkins, Damien McCrory and Matty Kennedy. Out went Baker, Davies, Smith and Kabamba (loan). Also updated the recent arrival of Dion Donahue

GOALKEEPERS
McGee
Bass

RIGHT BACKS
Thompson
Talbot
McCrory
Evans *

CENTRE BACKS
Clarke
Burgess
Whatmough
Thompson *

LEFT BACKS
Haunstraup
McCrory
Talbot*
Donahue*

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS
Rose
May
Close
Donahue
Whatmough *
Thompson *

WINGERS
Bennett
Lowe
Evans
Kennedy
Lalkovic *
Naismith *
McCrory *

ATTACKING MIDFIELDERS
Naismith
Lalkovic
O'Keefe
Close *

STRIKERS
Pitman
Chaplin
Hawkins
Main
Lowe *
Naismith *

SELECTED YOUTHS
Collins (17 - GK)
Bedford - (18 - MF)
Oxlade-Chamberlain (19 - MF)
Wriddlington (18 - MF)
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 10:12 Post ID: #185390 - in reply to #184904
Dickinson, Pompey 'til I die!
Thrilled with the signings, KJ hasn't wasted anytime in stamping his mark on the squad and I for one have a good feeling about it...
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 17:30 Post ID: #185396 - in reply to #184904
Linvoy status
I have to say, Hawkins apart but lets give the lad a go, the signings look to have given the spine of the team a more solid feel and I am definitely more positive with them albeit loans. I really wanted the Bennett, Baker, Naismith combination to be given a chance as I thought they would hold their own, then it was a striker a left back, a centre mid and a goalie, well we now have them all but with Baker unfortunately going. I was surprised to see Kabamba go and I don't like loanees going in ahead of our youngsters but they all have a good pedigree and I am sure the homegrown talent will all be involved plenty. Looking forward to Sunday.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 17:30 Post ID: #185397 - in reply to #184904
Linvoy status
I have to say, Hawkins apart but lets give the lad a go, the signings look to have given the spine of the team a more solid feel and I am definitely more positive with them albeit loans. I really wanted the Bennett, Baker, Naismith combination to be given a chance as I thought they would hold their own, then it was a striker a left back, a centre mid and a goalie, well we now have them all but with Baker unfortunately going. I was surprised to see Kabamba go and I don't like loanees going in ahead of our youngsters but they all have a good pedigree and I am sure the homegrown talent will all be involved plenty. Looking forward to Sunday.
Like post
Like this post
02 September 2017 10:43 Post ID: #185410 - in reply to #184904
Think O'Keefe was a really good addition as he'll give us that bite in midfield we've been lacking, experience too.

Not too sure on Hawkins, not certain he'll add much more than we had, but as you say well will give him a chance.

Is the squad weaker than last season? I'm not sure, I think 'different' is the best word, so all in all, like you Penton, I'm happy with the deals Jackett's done - now let's see what he can do with them going forward.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (2): 1
Jump to forum: