Portsmouth Forum - Michael Doyle
Vital Football

Portsmouth Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Alex McLeish: 'He's got a groin strain and he's been playing with it.' - eastneydave
- (Added by: pompeyrug)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Oldham MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3): 1 2
Michael Doyle
12 May 2017 09:30 Post ID: #184539 - in reply to #182695
Linvoy status
I was surprised but not shocked. The club ought to change it's policy on contracts, leaving so many to the end of the season when it is clear to most that we should tie up certain players sooner seems naive and could be costly.

I would have liked to see Doyle get another season, maybe it is a situation like Davies where he wants 2 years, Doyle alludes to this in his comments where 'I've seen other players drag on all summer' must be Davies? Fair play to Doyle for sorting it out to his own satisfaction, he has earned the right and I will be forever grateful for his role in getting the club back on the up and another trophy.

Stevens should, along with some others, been offered a contract sooner, no need to wait for which league, just put clauses in that take that into account, it can't be that hard, can it? Maybe it's more to do with the proposed takeover but for me we should be doing business as usual in the main and tying down our best players.

Of the others out of contract I'd say Bennett is most likely to leave which would be very disappointing on the last 3 months performances - but then again, I thought we should have cashed in on him when Ipswich came knocking, so what do I know?! I'd love to see Jack and Evans sign on again and I think they will - hopefully Jack has won you over now Blue?!?
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
12 May 2017 09:30 Post ID: #184542 - in reply to #182695
Linvoy status
Those comments were probably to do with me being frustrated after a defeat and in every game I had seen him play in after his injury he was very poor. Worth another deal, yes, based on his recent appearances. Still think he is lacking mobility and would only be third in the pecking order for me, but he is excellent when it comes to heading the ball clear. Useful player to bring on in the final 20 minutes and facilitates a move to a back 5.

Like you say, the contract policy has not been a good idea and we need toa get it sorted ASAP, otherwise risk losing more players. I also thought he was talking about Davies as that saga dragged on for weeks. Don't blame Doyle at all for leaving and hope that he can go and lift another title for Coventry!
Like post
Like this post
12 May 2017 09:33 Post ID: #184555 - in reply to #176744
When you go into contract negotiations, at least talks, without a contract offer even on the table that makes the decision for you.

Surprised, but not shocked, is how I'd describe this too. I liked Doyle, cracking leader, but his legs probably are going and a return to Coventry is best for him, his family and, in the long-run, probably Pompey too.

DEFINITELY need to look at how we're dealing with contracts and get some sorted, fast.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (3): 1 2
Jump to forum:
Portsmouth Fixtures  >>