Date:Wednesday August 15 2012
Pompey 'are on the brink', as all the headlines will (and probably rightly) say now following Balram Chainrai's decision to pull Portpin's bid to regain control of the club again.
A statement, released to sky sport news, lays the blame at the feet of anyone and everyone bar himself citing 'numerous reasons' why the bid has been withdrawn...
It read: 'Portpin Ltd regrets to announce that it is withdrawing its bid for Portsmouth Football Club.
"Unfortunately, our efforts to save the club once more from extinction have hit a wall of rejection and lacking co-operation from the administrator and other interested parties.
"We are not the ones who have caused the club to collapse and we are not the ones to choose PKF as administrators.
"As history has recorded, we sold the club over a year ago after saving it from liquidation and unfortunately found ourselves again fighting to try and save the club from another liquidation.
"Through this administration process over the last six months we have always had the club's best interest in mind - unlike many parties who were involved in the process.
"We repeatedly encouraged the administrator to find a new, willing and able buyer to take over the club - unfortunately he was unsuccessful in this job and couldn't find a buyer despite his promises!!
"Later he approached us to be his safety net to save the club as he couldn't find a buyer. We agreed in the effort to avoid liquidation of the club.
"At this moment in time, we feel that:
- the negative criticism and lack of support for our takeover by the fans of this club.
- the fact that the administrators do not want to compromise on their unrealistic fees.
- the fact that suddenly the club has received additional huge football creditors' claims from former players and management such as Hughes, Brown, Kanu, and Lampitt and more.
- the fact that all the money from the parachute payment which were supposed to carry the club for the next two seasons was spent and committed by the administrator on players' compromises and fees : total £12million.
- the fact that the Football League has decided to deduct 10 points for no reasonable reason and by its decisions didn't show any willingness to help in saving this troubled club.
- the fact that the supporters' trust which we met and we voiced our support for their takeover bid could not raise the funds to satisfy the administrator or the Football League and the loan that was promised them by the council had unrealistic terms.
- the fact that the club did not get any real support from any official they were all very good at creating headlines.
- and finally the last straw yesterday afternoon the manager told the press before the season starts that he is sure of another relegation.
"All of these facts have left us in a position that we no longer want to fight this battle, we have zero support to save the club therefore we formally withdraw our bid and our honest attempt at saving the club. We will sleep well knowing we did our utmost to save the club.
"We welcome and will assist anyone, including the supporters trust to try and save the club in the coming days."
Having to blow £12m on 'compromises and fees' is amazing but just compounds the mess that this club is in and just how poorly financially managed it has been for many a year as that money is by no means just on the players that have left recently! Some of this would be to players that left years ago...
Quite clearly with the parachute payments earmarked elsewhere this meant there was nothing in it for Chainrai so he has 'cut his losses'.
I did not want Chainrai back but of course I do not want us liquidated either, but I maintain my thoughts that this would 'probably' have been the ultimate outcome had Portpin taken over again anyway after we had just trundled along for a year or two.
So, that is that then it is Trust of bust now I guess...
PLAY UP POMPEY!
Vital Pompey on: Vital Pompey on:
Date:Wednesday August 15 2012
Whaddon Road Line-Ups - Cheltenham v Portsmouth (Saturday December 20 2014)
On this day in history...20th December (Saturday December 20 2014)
#PompeyPredictionsLeague - Update no.20 (Friday December 19 2014)
Cheltenham v Pompey - Thoughts? (Friday December 19 2014)
Tranmere rearranged for Feb (Friday December 19 2014)
Cheltenham v Pompey - early team news (Friday December 19 2014)
On this day in history...19th December (Friday December 19 2014)
An unwanted Christmas present... (Thursday December 18 2014)
Tranmere's visit to Fratton postponed (Thursday December 18 2014)
On this day in history...18th December (Thursday December 18 2014)
|Whaddon Road Line-Ups - Cheltenham v Portsmouth
» Portsmouth : 20/12/2014 14:50:00
|Hartlepool v Oxford: Team Line-Ups
» Hartlepool : 20/12/2014 14:35:00
|Luton v Newport County - Team News
» Luton : 20/12/2014 14:27:00
|Oxford team v Hartlepool
» Oxford : 20/12/2014 14:16:00
|Game time is Diego's goal
» York : 20/12/2014 13:29:00