Writer: pompeyrug/Tom Walmsley
Date:Friday August 12 2011
Vital Football caries the slogan 'for the fans by the fans', and as such we cannot forget the importance of fan participation - both on Vital Pompey and Vital in general.
As such we here at Vital Pompey Tower think it is 'vital' that we do all we can to try and actively seek fan participation, from all fans, and what better way to do this than to invite the editor of our next opponents to answer some questions for us.
This is what Tom Walmsley, the Vital Brighton ed, had to say in response to these questions...
1) Gus Poyet seems to be doing a fantastic job as your manager, is he the right man for the job and does he have the full support of the fans and/or the board?
Yes and yes. He is our Chairman`s choice and can do no wrong. He has implemented a wonderful style of football in the first team, reserve team and youth sides and looks to be here for the long haul.
2) How do Brighton, as a club, treat the fans. Are you well treated, or are they fleecing you at any given opportunity?
The new stadium is a cash generating monster, make no mistake about it. But the club have introduced an interest free monthly payment offer for season tickets (which are all very good value) and each season ticket acts as a loyalty card giving you 10% off on all purchases a the ground and club shop including beer!
3) Who do you think was your best summer signing and why?
We smashed our transfer record for Craig Mackail-Smith but in my opinion, Will Buckley will prove to be the best. He is 21 years old but has already gained Championship experience with Watford and teams just cannot handle him.
4) Could you have done with more arrivals - if so in which areas and maybe even who? Do you think they might still come in during this transfer window?
Gus wants 3 more, we are short of a centre back, central midfielder and another striker, the money is there, it`s just about getting the right player.
5) Who is the player, sold or released, that you think you will miss most this season?
Elliott Bennett, we are already missing his ability from dead ball situations.
6) What are your expectations, or hopes, for the season?
I would love a mid table finish and a decent cup run in either the FA or Carling Cup.
7) So, what about Pompey. What do you make of our club and what do you think we should hope, or expect, for between now and May?
Your core 11-13 players are excellent but budget and money troubles (which I`m glad to see are easing) means you don`t have much cover for the first team. I think mid table is realistic but if you keep your first team fit and suspension free you may push further than that. Your fans always impress me and were not responsible for the years of outrageous overspending, you guys deserved a lot better than previous owners presented you.
8) Who are the real danger men that Brighton have that Pompey will need to watch?
We don`t really have an individual who stands out but our three wingers, Lua Lua, Noone and Buckley need to be kept an eye on.
9) Is there anyone in the current Pompey squad that you would like to see at Brighton?
David Norris, we are definitely in need of a box to box midfielder of his calibre.
10) What about sending a player our way, is there anyone that you would like to send to Fratton Park?
You are welcome to a few of our youngsters who are in need of a few games in and around the first team ;-)
11) So, go on then what result are you expecting on Saturday?
Draw I reckon although both sides are capable of winning the match.
Thanks to Tom for this, much appreciated!
In order to get a wider view as well members of Vital Brighton, or Brighton fans in general, have been asked if they would be so kind to go into the forum ('fan banter' - Pompey v Brighton, here) and answer the questions also.
Should any other Brighton fans wish to do this, or ask us any questions there is still time.
PLAY UP POMPEY!
Click here for 'fan banter' - Pompey v Brighton.
Date:Friday August 12 2011
David Connolly joins the crusade (Thursday May 23 2013)
Not short of an option or two! (Thursday May 23 2013)
On this day in history...23rd May (Thursday May 23 2013)
On this day in history...22nd May (Wednesday May 22 2013)
Reaping the benefits of 1st team football (Tuesday May 21 2013)
On this day in history...21st May (Tuesday May 21 2013)
Scunny winger becomes latest Pompey signing (Monday May 20 2013)
Winger signing imminent? (Monday May 20 2013)
On this day in history...20th May (Monday May 20 2013)
On this day in history...19th May (Sunday May 19 2013)
|Five For Fun
» Coventry : 23/05/2013 21:17:00
|Paul Black Joins Mansfield
» Tranmere : 23/05/2013 20:45:00
|Bell-Baggie Gets International Call Up
» Tranmere : 23/05/2013 20:43:00
|Horlock Returns To Wycombe
» Stevenage : 23/05/2013 20:38:00
|Bradshaw Signs Extension
» Shrewsbury : 23/05/2013 20:32:00
|SUFC League Cup Draw Date
» Sheff Utd : 23/05/2013 19:58:00
|SUFC United look to be heading to Scotland
» Sheff Utd : 23/05/2013 19:47:00