Pompey hit with transfer embargo
I first wrote this earlier this morning, but I had been trying to find out more and wait for some form of 'confirmation' that this had happened - this confirmation has now come from the premier league, so I now publish, with a few bits added...
As so often has been the case this season a step forward is followed by an equally big, if not bigger step back!
We had been given this step forward with a morale boosting win over Stoke last night only to see the step backwards come with the 'reports' from The Mail that we have been hit with a 'transfer ban,' this was followed up with all manor of papers and media outlets reporting this...
Whilst, on the face of it this is not 'really' an issue at the moment as it only means that we cannot bring in any possible free agents we might want to - if this is not lifted in the New Year then any hopes of bringing in reinforcements would be lost, and with that any lingering hopes of staying up we might have, especially when you take into account the African nations that will see our squad even more depleted!
This embargo has been confirmed with a premier league spokesman, Dan Johnson, saying: 'we can confirm that there is an embargo on Portsmouth registering any new players.'
Quite possibly this is the premier league looking to make an 'example of us' under their new rules, but in other ways it seems as though there is something of a 'one rule for them and another for us' situation - although, I guess when all is said and done we have brought this on ourselves...
It was 'said', by The Mail, that this ruling was found out when Paul Hart tried to make Eugen Bopp and 'emergency signing' on Monday so he could be part of the league cup squad that played last night. This was 'claimed' to have been rejected as the premier league had hit us with an 'indefinite transfer embargo,' that includes adding further money to our situation, and bringing in free agents would still do this due to their wages.
For me 'missing out' on Bopp is not such an issue, the guy should not be training with us any longer as from what I have seen he is nowhere near good enough, but with these claims now proven true then those running the club need to start backing up their 'words' and 'promises' with some actions! Getting us out of the mire, offering us stability and down the line offering us facilities that they have said they would is all that we want, and these are the things that we have been told we would get.
With debts still unpaid and money owed to other clubs it is believed that this ban will stay in place until we settle these debts - something that the current, and previous, owners had said would be a 'priority'.
Sky sports news' chief news reporter Bryan Swanson is 'said' to have been told by club officials that 'the club remains 'relaxed' about the transfer ban and they expect the issue to be resolved as quickly as possible' - that is ok guys, you chill out and relax, no need to sort this out anytime soon...
Our board needs to sort things out, come on guys lets get our house in order and put an end to the farcical chaos that we continue to see coming down on us - it is often an embarrassment that we do not deserve!
PLAY UP POMPEY!
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.