Vital Football

It has gone down from £35,000-£20,000

It has gone down from £35,000-£20,000

'Reports' on Tuesday were 'claiming' that Pompey were going to miss out on free agent Bolo Zenden after we failed to agree to wage demands of around £35,000 per week.

Which, 'if true', I thought was fair enough...

Although now The Mail is 'claiming' that he was only asking for £20,000 per week.

Which, for me - although of course this is still too much for any person to be paid to play football - was 'fairer', so if it is true that we refused to pay him that I am bitterly disappointed.

Of course what the papers say and what is actually true are often completely different things but the 'claims' are that his £1m a year contract was beyond SAF as he 'wants a strict pay structure', which I agree with but, as I say, I do not think that £20,000 for a player of his quality and experience was unreasonable - if that really is what he was asking... And if it was, and we have refused to pay 'as little' as that it would raise further questions. Although I would like to think that no deal is being struck as it was nearer the higher end of what he was 'said' to be asking, than the lower...

It is now said that the 33-year-old former Holland international will go and speak with Hull about a move to our relegation rivals.

The same paper also 'claims' that Henri Camara 'must undergo a two-day trial at Portsmouth in his bid to win a one-year deal.'

PLAY UP POMPEY!


Bookmark and Share


Join the Vital Pompey Debate



*Try Vital Mobile FOR FREE for the latest news, scores, fixtures and so much more*

Click here to join in the debate on the club forum.

Writer:pompeyrug
Date:Wednesday September 9 2009
Time: 7:22AM

Comments

0
he was in my fantasy ream a few times back in the 1850's but he's probably too ols now.
plymouth graham
09/09/2009 07:31:00
0
Rug, I think the problem is that with 5,000 empty seats each week we can barely afford to pay £2,000 per week, let alone £20,000. Ultimately the fans get the club they deserve. If we get 16,000 or even 17,000 against Bolton then we really must see ourselves as a Championship club in the Prem.
Pompeytim
09/09/2009 07:37:00
0
Remember we still aren't taken over so weare still at risk. I think the club gets the fans they deserve; for the first time in years my bruv and I haven't bought season tickets; I've paid and not living in Pompey have travelled too much dross; I haven't had a problem getting a ticket for a game yet. I don't want to hear Hart or Storrie's weasely words, I want to see positive footy on the pitch! 2 day trial for HC seems right to me but yet another African
russellm
09/09/2009 09:03:00
0
SAF should be able to meet 20,000p/w Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure Niko was on something like 50,000p/w
pompeyfan94
09/09/2009 09:24:00
0
pf94 - the old wage structure was unsustainable - probably the reason we let nico go for peanuts. the club want to keep a wage cap and thats fine by me. they need to crack on with the stadium now (this season is already over for us) regardless of whether we stay in the prem or not so at least then that cap can be increased.
pompey--pessimist
09/09/2009 11:42:00
0
Wages paid Net and Gross spring to mind, that would probably account for the different values being touted around. Most players now ask for the wages to be paid Net, i.e., this is the figure I want paid into my bank account every month after taxes, so if a player demands 20k a week, (Ignoring Personal allowance and pension plan payments and assuming 50% tax and 11% National insurance) then the club would need to pay him about 50k a week, obviously for Pompey this is a ridiculous figure to pay out for any player. So scaling down the figures if Pompey are looking at players for 20k a week Gross then that equates to take home pay of 8k a week. Which leads me to my last point, there is only one person onto a winner and thats Mr Inland revenue, who are creaming it in from the football clubs and bleeding them dry! Just think of it this way, Pompey wage bill was 90% of earning so about 60% of that was going straight to the chancellor 40% to the employees, and with the remaining 10% council taxes, business taxes and VAT have to be Paid, it's not difficult to see why the club financially got its fingers burnt.
doggo
09/09/2009 13:19:00
0
Russell, I have to disagree. If you look at Man City when they regularly had 30,000+ in the 3rd tier it was only a matter of time for them to come back. As it will be for Leeds. If we get less than 20,000 each week then equally it will be matter of time before we check out of the Prem.
Pompeytim
09/09/2009 15:16:00
0
I think that we should have closed one eye for Zenden. he has massive experience and talent.
Pompey Malta
09/09/2009 15:57:00
Page 1/1
  1. 1

Login to post a comment

Recent Portsmouth Articles

The Hartlepool Low Down

PompeyFrippy looks ahead to the trip to Hartlepool as Pompey look to make it 5 wins from 6 moving closer to league one - potentially keeping Plymouth and/or Doncaster in view too?

Deal or no deal...decision time close

Cook will 'privately' know his plans for next season - this suggests Cookie's in charge whatever - with the players finding if/when league one is confirmed for Pompey.

EFL Cup To Fast Track Video Assistance?

It's been reported this week that the Football Association could now fast track video assistant referee help for match day officials in the League Cup.

Pompey 'leading the race' for winger

Briggs was first linked with Pompey in January and we're now 'leading the race' to him ahead of the likes of Stoke, Crystal Palace, Charlton & Ipswich?

Archived Vital Pompey Articles

Vital Pompey articles from

Site Journalists

pompeyrug
Editor email
Profile
eastneydave
Editor email
Profile
paultsmouth
no email
Profile

Current Poll (see more polls)

Hartlepool v Pompey?
Suggested By: pompeyrug
Pompey win78%
Draw17%
Hartlepool win5%
ScoopDragon Publishing Entire League Network of Sites

League Table

# Team P W D L Pts. GD
1 Doncaster 39 23 9 7 78 30
2 Plymouth 39 23 6 10 75 19
3 Portsmouth 39 20 8 11 68 26
4 Stevenage 39 19 5 15 62 12
5 Blackpool 39 15 15 9 60 21
6 Luton 39 15 15 9 60 19
7 Exeter 39 17 8 14 59 16
8 Carlisle 39 15 14 10 59 -2
9 Mansfield 39 15 13 11 58 5
10 Colchester 39 16 9 14 57 4
11 Wycombe 39 15 10 14 55 0
12 Cambridge 39 15 9 15 54 4
13 Accrington 39 13 13 13 52 1
14 Grimsby 39 14 10 15 52 -2
15 Barnet 39 12 15 12 51 -3
16 Crewe 39 12 12 15 48 -9
17 Crawley 39 13 9 17 48 -13
18 Yeovil 39 10 16 13 46 -9
19 Morecambe 39 13 7 19 46 -15
20 Notts County 39 13 7 19 46 -22
21 Hartlepool 39 10 11 18 41 -16
22 Cheltenham 39 9 12 18 39 -16
23 Newport 39 7 12 20 33 -21
24 Leyton Orient 39 9 5 25 32 -29
Vital Football Comment
Latest F1 News
Latest Vital Boxing News
Write for Vital Football

Recent Portsmouth Results (view all)

Portsmouth Fixtures (view all)

Apr 1 2017 3:00PM : Hartlepool United (a)
Sky Bet League Two
Apr 8 2017 3:00PM : Yeovil Town (H)
Sky Bet League Two
Apr 14 2017 2:30PM : Plymouth Argyle (H)
Sky Bet League Two
Apr 17 2017 3:00PM : Notts County (a)
Sky Bet League Two
Apr 22 2017 3:00PM : Cambridge United (H)
Sky Bet League Two
Apr 29 2017 3:00PM : Mansfield Town (a)
Sky Bet League Two

Vital Members League Table

RankNamePoints
1.pompeyrug98
2.PompeyFrippy61
3.storagematt41
4.Copnor4331
5.stubbsy00727
6.FrattonBlue23
7.eastneydave22
8.pompeyweller21
9.Jimsmithswig18
10.Dorking Pompey16
The Vital Football Members League