Date:Thursday June 4 2009
Talks 'take place' over £17m Johnson deal?
The thoughts that we would now be able to keep hold of players like Glen Johnson were something that we very much hoped we could, if not expected...
But according to The Mail's 'exclusive' today it is said that 'Chelsea were last night locked in talks with Portsmouth over a deal to take England defender back to Stamford Bridge for a fee that could eventually reach £17million' with 'the deal probably completed early next week.'
It was also 'claimed' that Fabio Capello had 'recommended' Johnson to the newly appointed Chelski man Carlo Ancelotti.
What they say is 'a source' had this to say: 'he has behaved in a mature manner, as well as improving as a player with regular first-team football. Roman always liked him because of his attacking dare as a full back. Jose did not always agree, but he's not at the club any more, is he?'
People made the point, and a pretty valid one, that with them already having Jose Bosingwa - who is no mug! - would he really want to give up his guaranteed 1st team spot here with the Portuguese international as competition?
£17m is a much more realistic valuation than the £12m that was claimed, also by The Mail, earlier in the week but I would still hope that even 'if' such an offer has been made we will reject it and prove that 'keeping the squad that we currently have in place together' is what we really intend to do...
Distin to Liverpool?
So Glen Johnson is off to Chelski according to The Mail with The Times saying that Sylvain Distin will follow him out the door as he leaves for another top 4 club, Liverpool.
£2m, which is already less than 'reports' have claimed the likes of Spurs and even Bolton will offer, is all that it will apparently take to see the Frenchman move on - that so-called price should be enough to suggest that it is lazy journalism...
I believe that Liverpool were said to have been in for him when he first joined us right, with it also said that he decided against them for our future plans, but also because he knew he would not be a 1st team regular. Some 2-years on this would be even less likely for Distin so would he also really want to give up regular 1st team football, even for Liverpool?
Maybe he will leave, but if he did I would expect him to go somewhere that he knows he will play more often than not...
So, the papers are today saying that the 'expected exodus' is set to go ahead anyway with two of our best players moving on - what do you make of this?
As always leave your thoughts guys...
PLAY UP POMPEY!
Date:Thursday June 4 2009
Stats: Cheltenham v Pompey (Saturday December 20 2014)
Whaddon Road Line-Ups - Cheltenham v Portsmouth (Saturday December 20 2014)
On this day in history...20th December (Saturday December 20 2014)
#PompeyPredictionsLeague - Update no.20 (Friday December 19 2014)
Cheltenham v Pompey - Thoughts? (Friday December 19 2014)
Tranmere rearranged for Feb (Friday December 19 2014)
Cheltenham v Pompey - early team news (Friday December 19 2014)
On this day in history...19th December (Friday December 19 2014)
An unwanted Christmas present... (Thursday December 18 2014)
Tranmere's visit to Fratton postponed (Thursday December 18 2014)
|Fans played their part - Wilcox
» York : 20/12/2014 20:59:00
|Home Sweet Home
» Luton : 20/12/2014 19:55:00
|Luton 3 Newport 0
» Luton : 20/12/2014 19:38:00
» Exeter : 20/12/2014 18:41:00
» Stevenage : 20/12/2014 18:36:00