Date:Monday May 18 2009
Another season of premier league football was confirmed on Saturday afternoon without Pompey even needing to kick a ball ahead of the game tonight, and this was thanks to defeat for defeat for Newcastle.
Regardless as to what we do now we cannot be caught by Newcastle, with it unlikely Hull will catch us either so our safety is assured - and hopefully we will now actually have a go against Sunderland, who will be looking for the win you can bet your life on it!
I know the table does not lie and yep, we are staying up, but lets not gloss over the fact that in the main we are not staying up because of what we have done, we are staying up because of what others have failed to do!
On the whole it has been a poor season, even taking into account the players and the manager that left, the fact that we could still realistically have challenged for a uefa cup place as little as half a dozen games ago, or less, proves that it has been a season full or poor displays and inconsistencies from more than half a dozen sides and even then we could not capitalise on it, when we really should have...
This has been a real eye opener, or at least should be - one where the owner, chairman, manager(s), fans and arguably most of all the players should now step back and take a long hard look at themselves!
* Gaydamak, whilst I thank him for what he has done all in all it is not looking like we are going to be in any more of an advanced state to the one we were in when he took over - of course we have an FA cup win to our name. He needs to reflect on decisions he did and did not make. And not just over the course of this season... That said we have made some strides forward with the way the club is run and conducted, that would not have taken place under many others methinks?
* Storrie needs to think about words he has spoken with actions not always following these, and vice versa - sometimes less is more!
* Managers, past and present should think about what they said and what they then did - I have no doubt that he will sleep easy though, but their time will come! What another could have done but did not do and what the other should have been done weeks ago but did not - thankfully it did not matter in the end!
* Fans, in the main we have been fantastic as always, but I think some need to start asking 'why' they go, and I suspect that some that were going for the wrong reasons will stop going now, funny that... At least that could allow the support to act as they always have in the past as that is something that we need to allow again - kill the atmosphere and you may as well kill the club, bloody hell we will need this support next season that much is certain!
* Players, the actions of some of these on and off the pitch have been nothing short of disgraceful this season - it is time that they, and not just here, footballers in general, got back in their bloody box and had 'the power' that they have taken away from them! It is time that they knew their place again... Too many have disgraced this club, the shirt, the badge and the fans this season with their actions on and off the pitch. They are paid a kings fortune to do a job that we would give anything for, yet as soon as they take a dislike to someone or something 'they give up', if they give up then lets stop paying the mercenaries - it is time for power to shift again... sadly this will not happen!
I am not saying that 'little Portsmouth' is in fact just that, as we are not but maybe it is best that we go back to what we were, not a small club, but a hard working, honest and genuine club again that has plenty or pride - maybe we do need to get out the big brush and sweep aside those that do not take this pride in the shirt and do not want to be here and replace those with the hard working, honest, genuine - even if technically inferior players that we once had that we all to easily tossed aside like used rags for a 'short-term', and now apparently self evident unsustainable approach? It proves the 'short-term thinking' that 'he' lives by...
Next season might be a long slog, but lets at least make it a long slog with people that are committed to the job in hand, jeez history shows that dedication and commitment, whilst not always enough, in the main it is!
Yep, we are staying up - and this was a must for us as financially it would have crippled us had we not done so, but lets not blinker ourselves as to why we have achieved this, thankfully it was not left down to us to ensure this happened, as I am not convinced this would have been the case... I did always feel we would stay up, but did also think that it would be due to what others did not do - the pressure is off tonight, so lets finish on a high.
I am grateful that we are safe, god knows this, but like I say we cannot gloss over things, we must be honest about plenty of things - this is a season best forgiven, but not forgotten!
PLAY UP POMPEY!
Date:Monday May 18 2009
On this day in history...8th October (Thursday October 8 2015)
An ongoing process (Wednesday October 7 2015)
That's why he's in demand! (Wednesday October 7 2015)
Patience is a virtue (Wednesday October 7 2015)
Is Cook a bit like 'Arry with criticism? (Tuesday October 6 2015)
On this day in history...6th October (Tuesday October 6 2015)
Pompey assessment - Yeovil (h) (Monday October 5 2015)
On this day in history...5th October (Monday October 5 2015)
Fratton Fail #4 (Sunday October 4 2015)
Match highlights - Pompey 0-0 Yeovil (Sunday October 4 2015)
|3. Leyton Orient||11||6||3||2||7||21|
|Mansfield Fans Paid £14.08 per game?
» Mansfield : 08/10/2015 21:00:00
|Yeovil's JPT Ball Number Known
» Yeovil : 08/10/2015 20:55:01
|Luton Fans Paid £14.08 per game?
» Luton : 08/10/2015 20:00:00
|Leyton Orient Fans Paid £14.08 per game?
» Leyton Orient : 08/10/2015 19:00:01
|Mackail-Smith Doubtful for York (h)
» Luton : 08/10/2015 18:44:01